Marino Vanhoenacker, also known as the fastest person ever to have finished an Ironman event (Ironman Austria 2011 7:45:58) won Ironman 70:3 in Luxembourg today. Marino finished the race in 3:47:47 (1411 triscorepoints) over a minute ahead of Nils Frommel of Germany. In the men´s race there were a strong startlist with many really good triathletes that could push the pace. Marinos victory came after a really strong bikeleg where he crushed all resistance and finished up to ten minutes ahead of the pro-field. Nils Frommhold who finished second was the only one even coming close to Marino on the bike today, finishing the bikeleg nearly 3 minutes behind.
Axel Zeebroek who had the fastest swim of the day made it to the podium finishing in third at 3:51:51.
In the womens race Lisa Hütthaler won in front of Susie Hignett and Alice Hector.
- Marino Vanhoenacker (BEL) 3:47:47 (1411p)
- Nils Frommhold (GER) 3:49:05 (1403p)
- Axel Zeebroek (BEL) 3:51:51 (1386p)
- Lisa Hütthaler (AUT) 4:17:03 (1250p)
- Susie Hignett (GBR) 4:18:40 (1242p)
- Alice Hector (GBR) 4:23:45 (1218p)